Imagine yourself a bride on your wedding day and you walk into the reception hall, and nothing's ready! This was what a Mr. Mann's Design client saw 6 hours before the ceremony. The bride's maid of honor wanted to 'surprise' the bride with a wedding. She asked the bride what theme she would like the wedding to be. The bride chose 'beach'. For expert help, the maid of honor contacted Craig Mann to design and produce the wedding which would prove a challege since the wedding was in the middle of the country in Iowa thousands of miles from the beach!
From what I’ve been trending, I’m ready to make predictions about what we’ll be seeing, wearing, and eating. Trends are cyclical as generations come and go. So it makes sense that the latest generation is probably not aware of the previous styles. What is old becomes fresh to the eyes of the naïve.
What do you think of these predictions?
- Sunken living rooms. Both comforting and sexy, I love the drama sunken living rooms convey. They do look a bit dangerous in the dark, but good lighting solves that. I’ve seen them convert into an entire bed area for your extra ‘guests’. How naughty.
- Pleats I hate them, but I think there will be a revolution against tightly fitted clothing and slim fits. They will be hemmed shorter, just to irritate people further.
- Filipino food. Oft derided or limited to duck embryo, more and more Filipino restaurants are featured in urban areas, such as Maharlika in New York City, or Irenia in Orange County or Bad Saint in Washington, D.C. The food is an interesting balance of flavors not normally tasted: tart, bitter, salty, sweet. It makes for a fresh perspective on cuisine.
- Shoulder pads. Maybe not the gigantic shoulder pads of the 80’s, shoulder pads are a subtler recreation. Also associated with plunging necklines, they confidence in the person wearing them. Ready for battle!
- Wood. Gold and silver all done, now it’s wood’s turn. Except in modern interpretations such as patterns and mixtures of wood types. Look out for parquet and chevrons.